HERBERTS CYCLES ESTABLISHED 1939.
In the age of the internet and retail park shopping it is extremely satisfying that a quality, independent high street store continues to prosper and provide a personal service to its customers.
Our established history means a great deal to Herberts Cycles giving us plenty to look back on as we continue to move forward.
The store first opened for business in 1939 when it was owned by Mr and Mrs Herbert Green. Initially they stocked a diverse selection of products that ranged from cycles, prams and gramophones to fishing tackle.
Eventually his son Stephen and wife Liz took over the reigns. Over the years they observed many changing trends and these were always reflected in the character of the shop.
They developed the shop further responding to the mountain bike boom of the 1980s by concentrating their business solely on the selling and servicing of cycles.
Steve was a extremely skillful mechanic and was particularly respected among the local cycling fraternity as a talented wheel builder.
Under his guidance the shop gained its well-deserved reputation for the high standard of repairs and servicing. After many years of dedicated service to their customers Steve and Liz retired in 2002, passing the business into the safe hands of a new owner. This was Keith Spencer who for many years had worked as Steveâ€™s apprentice.
Keith has continued to develop the business adapting to the publicâ€™s increased awareness of cycling in all its many guises – be it sport, recreation or simply as a healthy means of sustainable transport.
Although we are proud of our distinguished past, Herberts Cycles strives to stay at the forefront of the many exciting new developments in modern cycling technology. In response the showroom has recently been redesigned and the range of cycles and accessories have been considerably expanded.
Today the store and workshop are busier than ever. It is now staffed by a new generation of skilled mechanics who take great pride in maintaining the traditions of quality and service that Herberts Cycles has established over the past 70 years.